Sunday, September 15, 2013

30 Hour Famine and a Sleepover

Hello! I had an amazing weekend. It started out with the 30 hour famine which I originally wasn't going to be part of due to all the studying I had to do, but people kept texting me about it. First the campus minister asked me if I was participating when I was eating lunch. As I took a bite of my hamburger, I read the text asking if I was participating in the fast. Of course it had already started, and I was already eating my cheeseburger, so I replied no. Later on that day (about 3-4 hours later) I got another text from a guy in the worship band for Shine. He asked me if I was participating and I replied no. He encouraged me to try it, even if it was just for 24 hours, so finally I gave in.

I had to keep myself occupied and not focus on the hunger. I watched videos on YouTube, talked to a friend on Facebook, read the Bible, and played my guitar. I drank plenty of water of course. It wasn't as bad that way. I woke up the next morning just as hungry, but not too hungry and gathered out in the quad area. There we had a short little ceremony demonstrating how if we were living in a third world country we would probably be dead or not able to work due to the little things. We had communion and then were fed lentil beans, rice, grape juice, and cornbread. It was very delicious, especially after being hungry. I am so thankful for being able to participate and realize how people who go without food are some of the strongest people I know. At least I had clean and cold water to drink in the fridge whenever I wanted it. This song my Dara Maclean goes out to all those who are hungry, orphaned, or depressed:


Later on that Saturday I went to my friend's apartment/dorm and had a sleepover with one other girl. The host of the sleepover was talking about how she writes letters to her future husband, and we all decided to write one. I had written one before on Valentine's day, but it was then that I decided I would write more often than just every Valentine's day. We wrote our letters and took pictures to add to the letter. It was fun editing them and picking out different features. Then  I saw her guitar and started to play it and could tell the strings were really old, so I offered to change her guitar's strings. She helped me and I taught her how to do so. It was really awesome seeing how after we added each new string and stretched it, the guitar sounded crisper and clearer. It's like how Jesus takes out all of the old things in our life and makes them new and better. Once all the strings were changed, we had a worship/jam session. It was great playing  and singing to Jesus. It made my night. Later on we made a funny video with weird effects on it. Anyways on Sunday we went to church together and had an amazing service. I learned about an organization called Beacons of Grace. They help people ( I think just men) learn about Jesus and get their life right. They brought to the church tons of crosses that some of the men there had carved and were offering them to us. I got a cross and put it up in my dorm room. I wrote on the back of it as well. I'm very thankful for that cross because honestly I had never had a cross on my wall before, and it's good to know that men were making these and getting to learn about the love and grace of Jesus Christ.

2 comments: